Sausage and Peppers Pasta with Broccoli and Microgreens
This classic combination of sausage and peppers is a satisfying and easy weeknight meal. Adding microgreens is a fantastic way to give it extra nutrients and texture.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage
- 1 pound broccoli cut into 1-2 inch florets (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium bell peppers cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage. Cook, breaking up the meat using a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Scrape the mixture into a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons oil, the broccoli, peppers, and garlic to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until they soften and begin to brown, about 8 minutes.1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 1 pound Italian pork sausage, 1 pound broccoli, 2 medium bell peppers, 3 cloves garlic, salt and pepper
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water. Reserve 1 cup cooking water and drain the pasta. Return the pasta and reserved water to the pot over low heat. Add the broccoli mixture, cooked sausage, 1/2 cup Parmesan, the lemon juice, and red pepper flakes and stir until liquid is slightly thickened and saucy, about 2 minutes.1 pound rigatoni, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Serve with additional Parmesan and your favorite Roots 'n Shoots Microgreens.